Updates from April, 2011 Toggle Comment Threads | Keyboard Shortcuts

  • minho 10:26 pm on April 25, 2011 Permalink | Reply  

    bad robot in pc 


  • Thom Hines 10:20 pm on April 25, 2011 Permalink | Reply  

    Tinker Update 

    Making steady progress on my project. This weekend was filled with a lot of emails trying to line up more people who might be interested in my project, and as of today I’ve got Tinker installed on a few different sites, including Scott’s Transparent Band page.

    As far as the project is concerned, I’ve implemented a revision and draft system that seems to be working pretty smoothly. Every 60 seconds a draft is saved to a sub-folder in the Tinker system, which gets overwritten. If a draft from a previous session is in the system when the page is loaded, a message will alert the user that there is a draft available.

    Every time a user hits the save button, it will save their current changes to the live version of the file and save a backup of the most recent version they had published. The really cool thing about this system is that when selecting and previewing a revision, it is loaded almost instantly and shown in the browser. This works the same for loading the draft version, too.

    As soon as the user decides that they have the version they want, they can just hit save and the live version is updated right away.

    There are a lot of bug fixes and behind the scenes updates I want to make, and that will probably be what I focus on for the rest of the term. At this point, I feel like Tinker is in a fairly good place and is solid enough to start distributing more often.

    And for anybody who wants incredible new features, you can download Tinker v.0.0.5

  • lpercifield 10:19 pm on April 25, 2011 Permalink | Reply


    So since last week I have created an internet connected light bulb. I cut a custom PCB for an atmega328 chip with the bare essentials. I added a socket for my xbee and soldered the whole thing up. Using a 5v usb power adapter and a light bulb socket adapter I got everything set up. The current prototype only fades colors but as soon as I can program a data stream I’ll set up the bulb to respond to an internet feed.

    On sunday I got the final approval from Usman Haque at Pachube to access their SMS beta system. I can now begin testing the sensor module with a direct feed to Pachube. The best part about using Pachube is that I don’t have to re-invent an API. Their API is well documented.

    The PCB from Fritzing:

  • Chris Piuggi 10:17 pm on April 25, 2011 Permalink | Reply  

    Filter Update 

    Download my presentation

    • Chris Piuggi 10:19 pm on April 25, 2011 Permalink | Reply

      This week there is not a whole lot of new stuff, the laser cutter was having problems building cutting out my new filter prototype. Additionally I spent about 20 hours attempting to get a wifi shield up and running to track data of my system for me to use. Unfortunately the solution has not been working, and I am now switching to an ethernet shield to run this sensor network. More information to come soon. Oh but the plants are growing, growing like crazy… so awesome.

    • avtobazar 9:46 am on May 9, 2011 Permalink | Reply

      Nice topic – respect !

  • thisisvictorkim 10:16 pm on April 25, 2011 Permalink | Reply  

    New Shtuff 

    so The only advancements are that I know I’ll be using a few Ray Kurzweil talks juxtaposed with this talk by Dan Beuttner where he says we can’t just take pills or go on diets that will make us live longer.

    The sequencer is 70% working.

    I might need to add a few more sample banks.

    that is all


  • andywallace 10:15 pm on April 25, 2011 Permalink | Reply  

    PDF of my presentaiton 

    Forgot to post this earlier: https://docs.google.com/present/edit?id=0AcK8v3RzmLLmZDhzN3Z3d18zMDZwamc2ZzJmag&hl=en

  • Oylum 9:43 pm on April 25, 2011 Permalink | Reply  

    Wireless Progress 

    Finally, our plush robot and his bunny companion got rid of the wires. They can talk to each other wireless now. Actually, bunny talks to the robot.

    The second robot is on his way, when I realized that it’s another round of tedious sewing, I decided to use a sewing machine. Hopefully, it’s gonna be ready by Thursday.

    These are nice pictures with my xBee’s in action, my LED trials and additional sewing.

  • hilalkoyuncu 8:58 pm on April 25, 2011 Permalink | Reply  

    Packaging drafts 

    This is the front view of the package.

    The instructions will be inside the box.

  • Alvaro Soto 6:33 am on April 25, 2011 Permalink | Reply  

    Modulo/update and presentation 

    After trying out twice to cut hardwood lids for the blocks and having an unsuccessful precise cut (needed for the connections) I decided to use plywood in the laser cutter. Not a big deal but since it would have been nice to make the entire product in Mahogany I was trying to cut it by hand which made me waste some time  and material. Next step is to assemble everything which is now a matter of a couple of hours. I am planning to build Modulo and make the video for kickstarter this week.


  • andywallace 5:17 am on April 25, 2011 Permalink | Reply  

    Testing Out Other Types of Balls 

    This weekend I tested out a few alternate sensors to start using as well as assembling the parts I got in the mail.

    Let’s start with the new parts. Thom was kind enough to let me use his boarduino.

    Sadly, it needed too much power, and while I could get it transmitting with the xBee, it would only go in very slow bursts when running it off of my lithium batteries. His FTDI Friend, though, is very useful in programming my ardweenies, so thanks Thom!

    Teeny Tiny Ardweeny

    (More …)

Compose new post
Next post/Next comment
Previous post/Previous comment
Show/Hide comments
Go to top
Go to login
Show/Hide help
shift + esc