Updates from April, 2011 Toggle Comment Threads | Keyboard Shortcuts

  • breegeek 9:35 pm on April 28, 2011 Permalink | Reply  

    Onward to Glupiter! … and a reality check 

    I’ve been working a bit on coding the Glupet interface, but have come to the realization that I won’t really be able to test this thing with kids any time soon; only when there is a real online database they can play with or a portable toy.

    To test the effectiveness of getting friendly reminders from your pet to check your blood glucose a certain number of times either with a mobile device or a portable device is improbable at this point. For instance, I don’t think most little kids have cell phones, and most parents would rightly not grant me permission to text them 4-5 times a day to tell them to log information into the glupets website. In order to test this with kids, I would probably need to build several portable devices or something that can upload user-input information online somehow.

    I can, however, get some adults, perhaps, to test this for me. Not sure if that would show whether or not it would be an effective tool for kids.

    I DID start building some look/feel sketches for how the world would appear. I will use these as possible user scenarios in my final presentations/paper Of course, I am calling the Glupy home planet: Glupiter.

    Here is another random sketch, but I didn’t like it as much.

  • Alvaro Soto 5:29 pm on April 28, 2011 Permalink | Reply  

    Modulo is giving some problems 

    This slideshow requires JavaScript.

    3 different breadboards… finally it worked but still having issues powering the mini arduino pro, for some reason it works with the USB connected but not with the power source.. will try a different battery today,, but Modulo and I have spent some long time together in the last couple of days…

    in the other hand, I bought the paint and Im waiting (still) for the magnet so I can make the disks. Hoping to “finish” this weekend

  • lpercifield 5:13 pm on April 28, 2011 Permalink | Reply

    Bulbuino Prototype 

    The momentum behind the idea of internet connected lightbulb pushed me to get a prototype working. I decided to give the Twilio  IVR system a try since their SMS system was super easy to get working. I found a blog post that outlined a lot of what I was interested in doing which made things much smoother. Props for the great projects there!

    To get the whole thing small enough to fit into a 2 1/4″ sphere I needed to create a custom PCB. Getting the xbee to work with the arduino and Digi Connectport was super easy using Rob Falundi’s XIG python script.

    The arduino code is available here, the php (mostly from the above blog) is available here, XIG (xbee internet gateway) is available here, the Fritzing file and Gerber exports are here.

    I hope to get the bulbuino visualizing the data from my “Flush-o-meter” sensor sometime in the next week or so. Check out the “Flush-o-meter” here.

    Bulbuino from Leif Percifield on Vimeo.

Compose new post
Next post/Next comment
Previous post/Previous comment
Show/Hide comments
Go to top
Go to login
Show/Hide help
shift + esc